Sunday 21 May 2023

MAY I Entertain you!

It's been a busy old time since I last wrote. There's been bingo, brunches, competition finals and being labelled "The Ed Sheeran of Drag" to deal with. Where to start? How about...

..here, where I deal with that last event in the list. At the end of April I was in Blackpool at Garlands with my guitar, a music stand, a folder of songs I'd printed out from the internet and enough quips and one liners to link them together to make for quite a Monday night. The fabulous Aura Sutra was on DJ duties and joined me for some stage chat during the sets. The audience were drunk and appreciative - joing in with plenty of my "Lessons in Pop". Who'd have thought Whole Again would raise the roof like it did. Amazing. I'm back in June. 

Bop & Bingo have been keeping me busy on the weekends with sold out shows in Denton and Burnley (twice!) and Wythenshawe as well as more intimate affairs elsewhere. It was hen do central in Burnley on Eurovision night (they'd clearly chose to, like me, watch the UK's return to dismal form the next day) whilst in Wythenshawe you couldn't move for old school ravers giving it crazy legs on the dancefloor and wild women necking pints. I'm looking forward to returning next month for Wythenshawe Pride!

At the start of May, the venue final for Drag Idol took place at The Brewers to a big audience and some even bigger personalities. Following my Sam Smith parody and an onslaught of comedy crowdwork I revealed my g string (and the other five) for an acoustic take on Dua Lipa but it wasn't enough to swing me the win and I bowed out at the same stage as last year. The curse of Canal Street is broken though. Not only did I return to my venue of choice from 2022 but I'll be back by the water for a third time this year on July 11th when I preview my new Edinburgh show, "MicroRave" at Bar Pop alongside Auntie Ginger performing "I Consent". Get your tickets now from here!

Along with all this there's been a fab brunch with Funnyboyz and several comedy nights in the past few weeks. My comedy sets are now all about running material for my festival shows. Disco Divorce Party is confirmed from Buxton, Morecambe, Carnforth and Edinburgh - whilst MicroRave adds two Manchester dates, Barrow-On-Furness, Ulverston and Nottingham to that list with more to come. The next few months are going to incur excess baggage charges they're that packed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring Me To Queers - The Podcast

It's competition season and, between all the bingo, comedy shows, and festival show rehearsals, I have landed myself in the finals of ...